Melody Hsu

About the Art

My art is personal; it is a process of self-discovery. I create in an attempt to recall and explore the intricacies of my identities embedded within my subconscious. When I paint, I unpack and examine memories that are brought to light. As I watch my childhood innocence intertwine with the complexity of being a multicultural adult, I have learned to love my unique identity unconditionally.

To me, experiences bring dimensions to memory the same way light and shadow reveals the form of an object. So I paint in black and white as it lets me see details clearly and brings peace to my chaotic mind.

I depict a tree that is symbolic of our heritage; the integrity of our culture does not get lost, even when it becomes contemporary. Our cultures live within us; in different shapes and forms, and we never lose sight of that as we venture out into the world. The 12 Chinese Zodiac is hidden within this piece – let the illustration unfold itself to you as you search for them.

Black and white photo of tree with branches extending outward and roots in a crescent shape

“Solemn”

Painting of person with wings raising arms against a red moon in the background

“i am”

This short documentary examines our perception of vulnerability. In this experiment, the frame of the lens portrays the frame of the mind. Rather than exploring vulnerability itself, this film invites us to shift our consciousness toward perspective.

i am

About the Artist

Melody is a multidisciplinary artist from Taiwan—soulfully inspired by her cross-cultural identity. Currently, Melody is pursuing her Master’s in Civic Media Design at Emerson College.

Instagram: @_melodyhsu