Niharika Kalia

About the Art

My piece is a poem that reflects on monsoons in India, and how I experienced them growing up, as well as how I look back on them as an adult, now living in a country without this special “fifth season”. Monsoons are something I sorely miss being so far from home, and simultaneously something I never thought I would be without.

Read monsoon origami Poem by Niharika Kalia »

My poem is a collection on all the things I find myself unable to express verbally, including when my bilingual brain refuses to translate what I mean when I speak. It’s about all the things I am and unable to say, placing an emphasis on American pop-culture which is something I have always found myself at arm’s length from, not being American.

Read Rabbit Holes Poem by Niharika Kalia »

My poem is an instructional manual for something I have caught myself and others doing too often- hoping a change in appearance will give us new direction in life. The piece is meant to be light-hearted and relatable for all those who find themselves stuck in a rut, especially through the monotony of the pandemic, and also aims to show the reader that despite societal barriers, we all go through the same collective human experiences of vulnerability.

Read A Beginner’s Guide to a Mental Breakdown Haircut by Niharika Kalia »

My poem is an exploration of growing up and what that has looked like for me over time- and explore themes of love, vulnerability and loss as we try to navigate the world as young adults, making mistakes but still choosing to focus on the little moments of learning and growing.

Read Tuesdays by Niharika Kalia »

My piece just serves as a small reminder to me and whoever reads it not to take the world and ourselves for granted- or too seriously. That it’s okay to be afraid in uncertain times, and that you don’t have to have everything figured out.

Read Tchyism by Niharika Kalia »

About the Artist

Niharika Kalia is a senior VMA major at Emerson College, minoring in Economics. Born and raised in India, she likes to reflect and keep in touch with home through her writing and other creative pursuits.

Instagram: @niharikalia