Thura Myo Min

About the Art

This is a poem I wrote just a day after the military coup was staged and all our country’s legitimate leaders were illegally arrested and detained. I am not much of a poet but I have written poems before. Because of the severity of the situation in the early days of February, I knew that it was important for me to speak out while I still can so I spoke out within this poem I wrote and I published it on my social media. It was shared a lot around the community but nowadays it’s no longer safe to produce work like this in public for me over here. Now, in April, after over three months under military rule, making works like this will have my social media targeted and published on state television under the penal code Section 505(a) as a warrant to arrest me.  However having it published by Emerson from afar is safe for me to further the voice from my poem.

Read Coup Poem by Thura Myo Min »

About the Artist

I’m an undergraduate from Myanmar who started Emerson remotely this Spring Semester. Since the 1st of February, everyone in my country have lost their human rights and basic freedoms under the military who did a coup d’état against our civilian government – one that I voted as a first time voter back in November 2020. Ever since, even though I have been able to continue my studies at Emerson , things have been devastating  for a lot of people and I made some works of art regarding the whole situation that is escalating everyday.