Staff and Their Passions: Visual Arts

It’s no secret that Emersonians are driven by creativity and passion. This creative energy flourishes off campus, where staff members exercise their artistry when the work day is over. Read on to learn about a few staff members who specialize in visual arts.

Liz Chase holding circular crochet artwork
Liz Chase holds a crochet wall tapestry that she created.

Liz Chase (Iwasaki Library) started her crocheting journey in January of 2020. While the COVID-19 pandemic was a negative experience overall, she found comfort in being able to have an activity to stick to while staying inside, and she has found a way to continue her routine post-lockdown.

“There’s this habit nowadays that we’re constantly on our phones, and so to have something where I’m making something with my hands, where I have to pay enough attention….It’s been nice,” she said. What Chase enjoys about crocheting is being able to share her work with those around her. She makes gifts for teachers at her daughter’s preschool and stuffed animals for her friends’ kids. When discussing her role in Academic Assessment, she noted how crocheting has helped her understand the “bigger picture” in both her craft and her job. “I think that practice of just being more mindful and paying attention is something that’s absolutely imperative for my work,” she said.

Artwork of person with feather by Keke Li
A recent portrait by Keke Li

Keke Li (International Student Affairs) also started a creative journey during the the COVID-19 pandemic. She started painting in 2020, specializing in portraiture. She primarily uses her iPad to create vivid digital imagery. Painting has provided a comfort zone for her to escape into, and she practices anywhere from three to eight hours each day. “I think it’s kind of fun to see how I make my progress. I don’t have specific goals, like what kind of art I want to make or what kind of artist I want to be,” she said. 

In describing how her craft intersects with her work, Li said that she enjoys sharing her love of visual arts with students during the events that she holds. She said, “Having those social sessions to do some painting [allows] us to find time to see [each other] as human beings, not just the College staff.” 

Diane Paxton stands in front of a quilt that she created.
Diane Paxton stands in front of her quilt, “Fire. Water. Earth.”

Diane Paxton (who recently left the Student Accessibility Services office to embark on her third act) has been quilting for close to 25 years. During that time, she has built a community of quilters from across the country and has even participated in QuiltCon, an event that showcases quilting from around the world. “My culture of friends are really important to me, and the feedback we give each other,” she explained. “To be honest with you, I really love giving my quilts away.” 

Paxton talked about being intrigued by the color that goes into quilting, and how intricate of an activity it is. She creates her own dyes by growing flowers such as marigolds in her home, which has been an enjoyable summer activity. She discussed how through her job at Emerson, she was able to surround herself with creative people who share her ambitions. “If you can pitch an idea to somebody, it’s very common that they’ll get on board with you and help make something happen,” she said.

Interested in sharing your hobby in an upcoming article? Email us at people@emerson.edu.

Sage Liebowitz ’25