Q&A with the Masterminds Behind Orientation

From left: Chelsea JacksonJones, Desiree Baker, Maureen Hurley

Desiree Baker, Maureen Hurley, and Chelsea JacksonJones (Student Transitions and Family Programs) recently took the time to answer a few questions about their involvement with New Student Orientation.

What is your role in Orientation? 

Baker: I am the primary developer and coordinator of New Student Orientation. I set the tone for new students’ academic and social journey at Emerson. Our goals are to help them build a home-“BASE” (belonging, academics, support, and equity) at Emerson. 

Hurley: During Orientation, I do whatever Desiree Baker tells me to! Desiree is the star of the show. Overseeing the team that brings new students and their families through the journey to becoming Emersonians is a true privilege.

JacksonJones: I assist with Orientation Coordinator—or Core Staff—leadership development and then help Core Staff plan Orientation Leader Training.

What’s your favorite part of Orientation?

Baker: My favorite part of New Student Orientation is the New Student Welcome Show. This show is developed by our team of Orientation coordinators to help on-board new students. Our tradition is that the Orientation leaders always end the show with a dance. It is the most fun to see upperclass students cheering on our new students on their first day!

Hurley: My favorite part of Orientation is witnessing the pure love demonstrated when families say goodbye to their new college students. It chokes me up and makes me smile, all at the same time.

JacksonJones: My favorite part of Orientation is the teamwork it takes to make move-in happen. Seeing students in silly costumes listening to music and dancing on the street is so fun and such a great way to set a tone and welcome new students.

What favorite snack or beverage keeps you going during the long days of Orientation week?

Baker: S’mores cold brew from Dunkin’ Donuts keeps me going! For snacks, I love anything salty and sweet. 

Hurley: Snacks are everywhere during Orientation, but I’m typically talking too much to enjoy them. When I do get a moment, I love all kinds of popcorn!

JacksonJones: Chocolate S’mores cold brew and Oreos.

Nancy Howell (Communications and Marketing)