Here’s What Returning Graduate Students are Most Excited About

With the fall semester upon us, Emerson graduate students have lots to look forward to. From fall activities to student organizations, the fall semester has many opportunities for making memories. Today we’ll hear from two returning graduate students about what they’re looking forward to this semester. 

Meet Katriana

Katriana Danas Rivera is a second-year graduate student in Emerson’s Strategic Marketing and Communication program. Originally from Puerto Rico, Katriana moved to Boston for graduate school in spring 2024. After settling in her first semester, Katriana is excited for her first fall semester in the city.

Meet Camryn

Camryn Craig is also a returning graduate student, entering her second year in Emerson’s Communication Disorders program. Like Katriana, Camryn is new to Boston. Raised in New Jersey, Camryn moved to Boston in the fall of 2023 and is enjoying New England. 

What were some highlights of last year?

Katriana: “I loved the feeling of camaraderie in my cohort,” Katriana says. She recalls a complicated class spring semester that could have been overwhelming if not for the sense of community among her classmates. “We were all on the same page of helping each other out.” 

Katriana also enjoyed building friendships with people in her cohort last semester. Entering this semester, she feels she has a solid group of friends from her program.

Camryn: “I really liked getting to know everyone in my cohort and exploring Boston,” Camryn says. She only visited Boston once before moving for graduate school, so Camryn has enjoyed settling in and exploring the city. 

In addition to making friends and exploring New England, Camryn says her clinical experiences were a highlight from the past year. So far, she has gotten experience in the Robbins Center, Emerson’s on-campus community clinic for individuals with communication concerns. 

In the Robbins Center, Camryn participated in Thayer-Lindsley, a group program for Deaf and hard-of-hearing infants and toddlers. She also worked with a client with Parkinson’s disease and an elementary student with autism. “I’ve thoroughly enjoyed every clinical experience so far!”

What are you looking forward to this semester?

Katriana:

“I’m taking a Digital Marketing class this fall, which I’m excited about,” Katriana shares. She has learned a bit about digital marketing on her own, but she’s hoping this class will give her a more comprehensive understanding. 

Additionally, Katriana is excited to see her classmates again. She hopes to continue growing her current friendships and meeting more people. 

Camryn:

Camryn is also excited for her fall classes. She highlights two classes that she’s most anticipating: Language and Literacy Disorders and Counseling. In Language and Literacy Disorders, she will be learning about language development and how to diagnose and support clients with literacy disorders. She’s also looking forward to Counseling, which is a course focused on the client counseling aspect of speech pathology. 

Camryn is also excited to continue exploring Boston and New England with her friends. “I have a good friend in the cohort who has a car, so we can explore more places.”

Lastly, Camryn is looking forward to getting more clinical experience. In the fall, she will have her first external placement at a school. Here, she’ll work with students from kindergarten through 8th grade to support their speech, language, and social development. 

What are some hopes you have for the fall semester?

Katriana:

“This is my first fall in Boston.” As such, Katriana would like to do some fall activities and enjoy the season. Growing up in Puerto Rico, Katriana did not experience fall with chilly weather and changing leaves. She’s excited to see what fall in Boston is like.

“I also want to make at least one new friend,” she adds. Katriana enjoyed building a friend group last semester, and she’s excited to continue meeting more people.

Camryn:

“I want to put more time and energy into myself.” In addition to taking care of her current needs, Camryn plans to spend more time thinking about her future and career goals. She adds, “I also just want to take in every moment. I can’t believe my first year went by so fast!”

Hopefully today’s blog has gotten you excited for the fall semester. Comment below with what you’re looking forward to this semester. For ideas on what to do this fall, be sure to check out our blog about enjoying fall in Boston.  

Follow Olivia Wachtel:

Writing Assistant

Olivia is a second-year student in Emerson's Communication Disorders MS program. Originally from Ohio, she is loving Emerson and city life. When she's not writing for the Grad Life blog, she loves to read, bake, and crochet.