Missing Spring Break: From A Student-Athlete

Written by: Mary Kuczkowski, Class of ‘22

This past week, in a year pre-covid, I’d be lathering on the sunscreen, perfecting my “farmer’s tan,” and playing softball all day long in the Florida heat. It would be Spring Break after all, possibly my favorite week all year. It would be a time where college students take a deep breath, forget about the homework for a second, and for athletes like myself, finally get some reps in and prepare for a season.

I wish 2020/21 was like any other year. Unfortunately, the circumstances of the pandemic persist, wiping out “traditional” Spring Break in its path. Nonetheless, it is important to find the silver linings as we face new challenges. Although the spring semester is far from our “normal,” there are still great things to look forwards to, like a much-deserved break. This coming Friday, March 12th is a scheduled “day off.” It may look unlike our traditional week-long break, but it’s certainly something stressed-out students can look forward to. 

Now, instead of booking a last-minute flight somewhere warm, students have the opportunity to look within their community (and COVID guidelines of course) to come up with the best way to fill the exciting long weekend ahead. Personally, I might just catch up on sleep. But, if the warmer weather continues, maybe I can go for a walk or play catch with my suitemates. If it looks like rain, I might instead check out one of the nearby museums like the Boston Museum of Science or the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum too!

I highly recommend students check out BostonUSA.com or follow the link here to catch what other exciting and socially distant activities are still able to go on around the Boston campus. Are you a remote student not on our Boston campus? No problem! I highly recommend taking a look at EmConnect for virtual events or maybe setting up something virtual and fun with some friends online. 

Being a student during such uncertain times can be exhausting. That’s why it’s so important to take time for one’s academic responsibilities and take a second to breathe during the day off. As one myself, I can’t wait to have a long weekend away from Zoom to refresh myself for the semester left to come. What is your student looking forward to this coming March 12th?

Be the first to reply