How I became a Travel Editor at U.S. News: Alumni Spotlight Series

Emerson Grads go on to hold exciting careers in the arts and communication industries. We sat down with Hannah Cheney, Publishing & Writing Alumni, to discuss her journey to becoming a Travel Editor. 

Hannah Cheney

Publishing & Writing (MA) 2012
I am the Travel Editor at U.S. News, where I manage the annual Best Hotels product. I also frequently write travel articles, slideshows and destination guides. Prior to joining U.S. News in 2015, I worked for the travel books department of National Geographic, and had articles published in Men’s Health, Boston Magazine and Washingtonian magazine.
Describe your career path since graduation.
I interned at several magazines and went on numerous informational interviews until I had made enough of a name for myself and was offered a full-time editing job at National Geographic. Leaving Boston a couple days after graduation made the job hunt especially challenging since all of my contacts during grad school had been made in Boston. It was a long, slow process but I eventually made it into my chosen career and worked my way up to my current role (travel editor at U.S. News & World Report).
Why did you choose to attend Emerson?
I chose Emerson because I had heard wonderful things about the program and thought it would be a top-notch educational intro into the publishing world.

Tell us about your Emerson experience.
I had a great time at Emerson and learned a lot during my time there, especially from three specific professors. I went in thinking I was going to eventually enter the world of book publishing, only to quickly change my mind and settle on online/magazine editing. So glad I never looked back.

Describe Emerson in 3 words.
Creative, urban, inspiring.

Describe your most memorable experience with Emerson’s faculty.
My column-writing professor (Jeff Seglin) was instrumental in helping me shape my voice and in helping me figure out what type of publishing I wanted to do. I still reach out to him when facing a career crossroads, and he’s always quick to help me out.

What was the best thing about living in Boston? How did you take advantage of our urban campus?
I grew up in a Boston suburb, so I was very familiar with the city. The campus location is ideal for exploring Boston.

Tell us about a memorable internship that you worked on as a student.
I loved interning at Boston Magazine while in grad school; it really helped solidify where I wanted to land after graduation.

How did Emerson help you get to where you are today?
I learned a ton during my time at Emerson, and I’m still thankful for my time there and glad I decided to attend.

The Alumni Spotlight Series introduces you to Emerson grads who are following their passions, changing the world, and making waves in their industries.