Your First Emerson Semester or Your Last

By Zac Ladouceur, ’20

Dear Parents and Families,

I hope you are as excited to begin this new semester as I am! For the families and students starting their first semester at Emerson, welcome! For those returning, for their second or possibly last semester, welcome back! To me the start of the Spring semester not only brings the promise of warmer weather, but the opportunity for a fresh start. Whether it be in academics, clubs or activities, a new school or a new city, it is always an exciting endeavor to try new things, however big or small!

For those who are returning to us from before the holiday break, you may remember Mandy Seiner, who had been writing the blog posts for us up until last semester. Mandy has since graduated, and is off on her way to do great things. We’re wishing her the best of luck!

I thought I would take this time to introduce myself to you all. My name is Zachary Ladouceur, and I will be working in the Office of Parent and Family Programs, and writing weekly blog posts for you all! I am a sophomore Visual Media Arts major, with a focus in Writing and Directing for Film from Glenville, New York. Getting involved on campus has been a lot of fun so far in my time here at Emerson, as I am the former President of Acappellics Anonymous, have been in several student theatre productions, and continue to work on the EVVYs.

My favorite memory since being here at Emerson was when my Orientation Leader took our orientation group on a walk around downtown. Never having lived in a city before, I was nervous to get out and explore the seemingly vast expanses of Boston. My Orientation Leader showed us all her favorite places, and some of my closest friends now I had met on that trip.

As many of you may know, this blog is going to serve as a resource for all Parents and Families to help stay involved in what is going on, on and off campus. We will be covering a plethora of topics from how to get involved with activities on campus, and how to start looking for off-campus living arrangements for those students in need of that come the time for them to make that transition. I am hoping to answer a lot of your questions and concerns, as families and support systems, and will likely have a section every week in the blog dedicated solely to your questions! With that said, I would love to hear from you about how we can make this blog as beneficial and informative for everyone. If you have suggestions, comments, concerns, jokes, or would just like to say, ‘Hello!’, feel free to shoot me an email at parents@emerson.edu.

There are many exciting things happening at Emerson this semester, and I hope that you, your families, and your students, follow along and get as excited as we are to share them all with you!

The next big and exciting happening is our Spring Family Day, on February 17th! It is especially designed for the parents and families of students who started in January, 2018, but all are welcome. (Yes, this is a smaller version of Family Weekend that happens each fall. You may not have heard of it before as it was a new offering.) Registration will be open on Monday, January 29 and the link will be posted on the Parents and Families Facebook page. This may give you a good “excuse” to come and visit your student if you were looking for one! This is a very casual event and families may participate in one or many of the offerings.

Tentative Schedule for Spring Family Day, 2018 (the final schedule with locations will be available to those who register)

Saturday, February 17

10:00 – Check in and refreshments

11:00- Trolley Tour

11:00 – Men’s Volleyball Game v. John Jay

12:30 – Lunch in the Dining Center

1:30 – Ice Skating at Frog Pond (weather permitting)

3:00 – Men’s Volleyball Game v. Newbury

4:30 – Urban Arts Gallery, “William Kentridge: Triumphs & Laments”

5:30 – Uncommon Emerson

8:00 – Arts Emerson presents: Torrey Pines

We hope that you will consider joining us for this day of activities with your students! All of this information can be found again on the Parent and Families Facebook Page

You can reach the Parent and Family Programs Office at:

parents@emerson.edu

(617)824-8561

Be the first to reply