Emerson is thrilled to participating in this year’s Campus Race to Zero Waste (CRZW), formerly known as RecycleMania. The competition runs from Monday, January 30 to Saturday, March 25.
The eight-week CRZW is a friendly competition between colleges and universities across the U.S. and Canada to increase waste diversion on campus. Waste diversion is the portion of our total waste that we keep out of the trash stream through recycling, composting, and other methods. Our current combined recycling and composting rate is just over 20 percent. Our goal is to increase that rate to 30 percent this spring during the competition.
There will be several ways to get involved in the competition throughout the next couple of months:
- Sign the pledge to recycle and compost. All signatories will be automatically entered into weekly raffles throughout the competition!
- Check the scoreboard every week online on the Emerson Sustainability blog, Instagram, and Facebook pages or in-person on easels placed around campus.
- Participate in the residence hall recycling challenge (February 6-10)
- Participate in the office recycling challenge (February 13-17)
- Join us for a field trip to Waste Management’s recycling facility in Billerica (February 17) — space is limited so sign up soon!
- Participate in Weigh the Waste during dinner in the dining hall
- Enter the Upcycled Art Competition (date and details TBD)
- Bring your unused office supplies to our spring Clean Out Your Office day (March 22, 2023)
Continue to check back here for more information on Emerson’s participation in the 2023 Campus Race to Zero Waste and complimentary events on campus!