As we wait in hopeful expectation of the return of warm weather and the greening of the Common, some of our students are approaching the end of their time at Emerson. With Commencement right around the corner, here are some tips and tricks to prepare for this auspicious occasion.
- Visit the official Commencement Web site now, and return to it regularly in the coming weeks for updates (hotel information, speaker announcements, etc.) There is also a section for students that you may find helpful to read. www.emerson/commencement.
- Talk to your student about your plans for graduation weekend well in advance. Your student will likely have competing priorities (packing, farewell gatherings with friends, family dinners, etc.) and knowing your thoughts and expectations will help them make decisions. PRO TIP: Be flexible, if possible!
- Try to schedule some “down time” for you and your student. The hectic pace of the end of the school year is daunting and your student may appreciate a stroll along the Esplanade, a meal cooked at home, a brief respite in your hotel room–whatever activity allows everyone to take a big breath and relax.
- Graduation is being held in Agganis Arena at Boston University, located at 925 Commonwealth Avenue. Click here for directions. PRO TIP: Take public transportation for the easiest experience. A Green Line “B” branch outbound train will bring you right to the front of the Arena.
- The Undergraduate Ceremony is from 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., and the Graduate Ceremony is from 3:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- If you are driving to graduation, there is a parking lot underneath Agganis Arena where you may park for $15. PRO TIP: There are lots of on-street parking spaces on Commonwealth Avenue and side streets. Parking meters do not have to be paid on Sundays.)
- Each graduating student is given an allotted number of tickets (6 for each undergraduate student, 10 for each graduate student). PRO TIP: Decide in advance who is going to the ceremony. If you find you need another ticket, your student should ask their friends for any tickets that are not being used. There are no tickets for sale and all tickets are general admission.
- PRO TIP: If at all possible, do not bring a bag with you to the Arena. All bags must be searched upon arrival, and are not allowed to be larger than 12in x 12in x 6in (30cm x 30cm x 15cm). Fastest entry will be available for those not carrying bags.
- If you are bringing any children, they will still need a ticket if they need a seat of their own. Each ticket represents a seat in the arena.
- Strollers will not be allowed in the arena and must be stored in the lobby. Please plan accordingly.
- For anyone requiring additional assistance, there will be a Special Accommodations table in the lobby to help. You are also able to arrive up to 30 minutes early (8:30 for the Undergraduate Ceremony, 1:30 for the Graduate Ceremony) in order to have a more leisurely process. If you have your own wheelchair, it will expedite your process.
- There is a one-hour reception immediately following the ceremony in the FitRec Center at Boston University. Non-alcoholic beverages and light fare will be served.
- PRO TIP: If you are planning a celebratory dinner out, make reservations well in advance.
Enjoy the ceremony and congratulations to your family!