Tips and Tricks to Navigating AWP

Olivia Smith // Blog Writer

You may have never heard of it, but the Association of Writers and Writing Programs can be a huge resource to any aspiring writer or MFA candidate. Each year, AWP hosts a huge conference with over 550 readings and panels and a bookfair with over 800 booths. These represent countless different journals, magazines, and MFA programs. Emerson will have not one, but two spaces: one for the MFA program, and one for Ploughshares.

The bookfair runs for three days (Thursday through Saturday) from 9-5. The conference happens during the same week, but the hours often span the whole day and through the weekend. It is featured in a different major city each year. Tickets are expensive (up to $315!), so be sure to utilize the $50 student tickets for as long as you can.

Me (left) at AWP in 2018!

This year, the conference will be held in Portland, Oregon during March 27-30.

I have been able to attend AWP twice (in Washington, D.C in 2017. and in Tampa, Florida in 2018) as a representative of BatCat Press. It’s an amazing event, but, with its huge scale, it can be incredibly overwhelming. Here is my list of tips and tricks to making the most out of AWP.

Stay Organized

This may seem easy, but there’s actually a lot to keep track of when you get there, so staying organized is no small feat. When you arrive, you’ll be given a book with every single panel, reading, session, party, and vendor that will be at the conference. It is easily over 100 pages. Instead of flipping through the book constantly, download the AWP app on your phone. You can bookmark events, and you’ll be able to keep organized as you go.

Go to Panels

The first time I went to AWP, I didn’t leave the bookfair, even though there were panels that I really wanted to attend. My second time, I attended several panels each day, and it enhanced my experience and knowledge exponentially. I still regret not going to the Gwendolyn Brooks 100th Birthday Reading in 2017, so live from my mistakes. Even if you have to attend it alone, go to the panel.

Go to What Interests You

On a similar note, it’s okay if you’re 15 minutes into a panel and realize it’s not what you thought it would be. If you can while still being polite, leave and do something else. Remember that you’re paying to be there, and you should make every moment count.

If you’re there with a group and no one wants to go to a panel with you, go by yourself. You may feel awkward, but once it begins, you can focus on the information before you.

Take Notes

Be sure to bring a small notebook and take notes. You’ll probably get great advice that you’ll want to access later.

Say No to Free Stuff

Seriously. You have to say no. With very little effort, you could end the weekend with 100 free books and journals that you’ll never read or use. While this may sound like heaven, remember: you (probably) have to fly home. Books are heavy and bulky, and unless you brought an extra suitcase for that exact purpose, you probably can’t take them back.

I drove home from the 2017 conference, which meant I could take anything, right? Wrong. I couldn’t tell you how many books that are on my bookshelf from AWP that I’ve never opened or that I’ve pawned off to others.

AWP’s Logo

Don’t get me wrong: if you really want a book, get it! If you love the cover, the content, or even the creators and know that you’ll read and enjoy it, you should absolutely bring it back with you (even if you have to buy it). But unless you definitely know that you want it, say no thank you and move on.

Say Yes to Free Stuff

That being said, be prepared to never buy another pen in your life. I got my favorite pen ever from AWP (thanks, Regis University). One booth even had pens that double as a phone stand, so get excited for that.

Cool (tiny) things that I’ve gotten from AWP: a micro sewing kit, matches, chapstick, tote bags, hand sanitizer, bubbles in the shape of a bear (not tiny, but still cool), and a geode. That’s not even to mention the fact that there’s candy everywhere.

The AWP Bookfair

There are also waterbottles and – if I remember correctly – sunglasses. Judge those as you will.

Pick Up Pamphlets 

The one thing you should pick up without discretion are business cards and call-to-submission flyers. You’ll have to sort through them when you get back home or to your hotel, but they don’t take up too much space, and you’ll be able to give them more research and thought outside of the bookfair.

If you want something artistic, check out the BatCat Press table. They’re known for their unique handouts.

Set a Budget

Be prepared to spend money. There’s nothing more sad than being surrounded by amazing products sold by amazing businesses and people but having tied purse strings. You’re going to see unique books and products that you’ll want to bring back. I’ve seen literary tarot cards, writer pun shirts, haiku pins, cool zines, and gorgeous postcards. Don’t pass up on these great products!

That being said, these items can be pricey. Without realizing it, you can spend an unholy amount of money in one afternoon. Set a budget and stick to it. Be sure to spend it over the course of the convention.

Bring Snacks

It can be a long day, and convention center food will only get you so far. Be sure to bring lots of water and small snacks to get you through the day. When it comes to bigger meals, you’ll usually be able to find something in walking distance or a quick Uber ride away.

Talk to People

Ask questions at panels. Chat with the author whose reading you just attended. But most importantly, talk to the vendors. It can definitely be overwhelming, but they are there for a reason. Learn what their booth is about; it might surprise you! A big part of AWP is making connections with fellow writers and publishers, so do just that.

If you can’t attend AWP this year, hopefully you will be able to at some point. It’s an experience that any writer or publisher should have at least once in their career.